Thursday, March 13, 2008

Plans

A - Should we take this one?

B - Yeah, it won’t make much of a difference. And I’ve got some time to spare.

A - OK.

B - So, any plans?

A - Plans?

B - Yeah, man. Long weekend. You don’t even know what day it is, do you?

A - Of course I do.

B - So?

A - So what?

B - Plans for the long weekend, man! We were talking about the long weekend that’s coming. What’s going on with you? Pay attention.

A - OK, OK, calm down. No, no plans. I mean, I’ve been thinking. I’ve been trying to make some plans.

B - What are you talking about?

A - I don’t know. I’ve been thinking about my life here. I’m getting sick of this place, you know.

B - We all are.

A - Yeah, but it’s time for a change.

B - So you want to run for mayor? Change the city, then run for governor? So on, so forth, till you’re king of the world?

A - I don’t really care about the world.

B - You just care about yourself. If the world keeps on stinking, but your life gets better, that’s good enough for you.

A - Well, yeah. I have to start with something, and if don’t think about myself, who will?

B - Good point. So what are your plans?

A - I don’t know. But I’ve been thinking.

B - And?

A - I think I’m going north.

B - North?

C - Hey, would you mind holding this for me, please?

B - Sure… Man, what is this?

A - How heavy is it?

B -Very heavy. Too heavy. What’s in this?

C - It’s just my safe.

B - Your safe? Why are you taking your safe on the bus?

C - I always take it with me.

A - What for?

C - Because if it’s at my place somebody may steal it from me.

B - And can’t they steal it from you on the streets?

C - Then I’d know who did it. That would be something.

A - Oh.

B - So you carry this thing around all the time?

C - Most of the time, someone holds it for me. It’s nice, and I take a good look at who’s carrying it. This is my stop. Let me have that now.

B - Sure.

C - Thank you, young man.

A - What the hell was that?

B - That’s people getting crazy because of the world we live in. The world you don’t care about.

A - I do care. But there’s nothing I can do.

B - If everybody said that, nothing would be done.

A - There’s not much being done, is there?

B - OK, this is going nowhere. But you are, supposedly.

A - What?

B - You said you’re going north.

A - Yeah. North.

B - What’s up north?

A - I don’t know, but it seems right. Going up. Making progress. Evolving.

B - Wow. I think you lost me, just like you lost your mind. You’re going to evolve by going north?

A - I don’t know, man. But I got to this point in my life that I either do something or get stuck in the same place, here in this town, on this bus, talking to you, every morning, forever. Nothing else. It’s killing me.

B - OK, I get it. You’re having a bad hair day.

A - More like a bad hair life.

B - But come on, you can’t just leave everything behind.

A - Why not?

B - Because it’s your life. The life you have since you were born. I mean, the life you built…

A - No, this is the life that was built around me. That was already here. I was just born into it. The rest is just… automated responses, I guess. My life, you say. What did I choose in my life? But now it’s over. I’m the new old me.

B - Old? You are a new lunatic, that’s what you are.

A - That may be. But I’m not going to watch my life pass by. I’m through being a spectator. I’ve made my decision, based on everything that is bound to happen if I keep living like this, on automatic pilot. It’s hard to let go, though.

B - When did you have this epiphany, man? Did you dream all this crap?

A - No.

B - Did you just read a self-help book? Have you been reading Paulo Coelho? Tell me the truth.

A - No, man.

B - Then what?

A - I don’t know when. I don’t really know anything. I know I have to go.

B - What about your family?

A - They’ll be glad I’m gone.

B - What about your friends?

A - I’ll send you a postcard.

B - So, you’re really going? Going north with no destiny, just hoping to find something better, a more fulfilling existence. You want to find meaning by escaping from everything and everyone you know. A fresh start, a clean slate. Is that it?

A - Yeah, man. And the time is now.

B - When?

A - Right now.

B - Hey, this is your stop.

A - Not anymore.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home